Keyword(s):Electroacoustic Devices , Electroacoustic Instruments , Socio-Cultural Aspects of Electroacoustic Music
In this book (with a forward by Robert Moog), the author offers a comprehensive history of the Theremin (a space-control electronic musical instrument) and its inventor Leon Theremin (1895-1993). This history/biography is framed by the socio-political and cultural climate in Russia during the 20th century.
Table of contents:
1. Soviet Power Plus Electrification
2. The Greatest Musical Wonder of Our Time
3. Capitalism Plus Electrification
4. A Theremin in Every Home
5. The Ether Wave Salon
6. Alarms, Magic Mirrors, and the Ethereal Suspension
7. “I Leon Theremin...”
8. Yowsah, Yowsah!
9. On the Yausa: Screws, Politicals, and Radio Street
10. Free Music: New Waves on the Home Front
11. Mailboxes and the Invisible Man
12 In the Vanguard: Perfume, Sci-Fi, and Hobbyists
13. A One-Room Flat and the Microstructure of Time